It’s a tapestry that catches the air underneath it and whips in the wind. It seems to get more fluid with each passing day. Each individual piece of fabric is not only perfect and beautiful in and of itself, but when stitched onto the next piece, it has become more than beautiful, it has become majestic. The ebb and flow of the colors and textures create a kaleidoscope world. It draws one in and wraps them in warmth and comfort and peace, a sense-filled delight.
That is the way I see that the LORD has arranged this community of writers too. We each are beautiful and unique in our own way, but when we come together and “link” with each other, we become that flowing tapestry that welcomes the readers into our stories, into our world. I am so pleased to be a small scrap in the over all. And as I meet you, one by one, I can see your uniqueness and it doesn’t intimidate me, but rather encourages me to be me! My scrap is supported by your scrap. My colors are magnified and complimented by yours. I read your words, your tips, your stories and they fill my heart with encouragement.
Basics tips to writing your tapestry (Whether you want to or not!).
- Start your journey on your knees. This is where your story needs to start. Present yourself to the LORD and trust that He will direct you. After all, He gave you the gift to write. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Phil 4:6
- Be yourself. I know it’s intimidating when you read posts by other writers and they have such an awesome command of the language. They paint pictures that you didn’t even know existed. That is their beauty. Remember that they are not you. They can not tell your story. Only you can. Be yourself. You will bring out their hues when you are stitched in next to them, just like they will be bringing out yours. Don’t try to be them. Be yourself.
- Rough edges and all. You may think that before you write a post or blog that you have to smooth down your rough edges. I disagree. Write now. Your rough edges will make your fabric unique and unusual. It will give dimension to the overall tapestry. Life has a way of smoothing out the edges as we go. If we wait until we think we are perfect, or ready, we will never begin.
- The time is now. Write as you go, don’t wait for the perfect time. There is an old saying “there is no time like the present.” Today is the only day you have. Don’t allow lame excuses to keep you from accomplishing your dreams.
- No one will ever know your story unless you tell it. How sad to think that the Lord has spent your entire life teaching you priceless lessons and you are reluctant to share them. Your story is unique and valuable. Your voice is mellifluous.
- You are an over-comer. Writers tell stories. And in order for the story to be told, you must be an over-comer. Over-come the obstacles that block your pathway. Go around them, go under them or go over them. Press on! That’s the joy of writing. Life always gives us abundant material to work with- and your material is essential to the overall tapestry of our community. “Be strong and of good courage. Be not afraid, neither be dismayed. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Josh 1:9